Author Topic: There's something rotten in...  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
  • I play: HoV
There's something rotten in...
« on: March 21, 2006, 07:55:36 PM »
...no, not Denmark - but the game of RUNE instead.

Let's beat the dead horse some more now, shall we? Just for the hell of it.

First of all, I have absolutely no idea why I keep trying to get into playing this game again and again, because not a session goes by without me leaving the server in disgust. Not disgusted about my own score, which I'll admit to is pretty shoddy, but the state the game is in - as has been in for ever so long now... and it seemingly just gets worse and worse - sadly. I wish the old days would return... the good old days - along with the great players, who populated the servers back then. That would be awesome.

The sources of disgust is of course the usual complaints about never seeing players with low- or middle caliber weapons (unless you happen to comment on the situation - then they're all about shielding up with a middle caliber weapon... until they are defeated, then they return to high caliber weapons only again), and the "new" warp-speed side-to-side mouse jerking bullshit when attacking. I'll leave it at those two right now.

It's a shame there's fewer and fewer servers too... and of course most of the servers are password protected. I can [partially] understand this one, though, as I understand most gameserver hosts offer a small discount off the price when keeping their advertisement in the servername and/or keep the server locked off from the public by password protecting it - or something like that.

I miss variety in combat.
I miss the BarrysWorld servers.
I miss my one-man "fan"club, DeathDealer.

I miss the good old days.

:-\\

Poor horse, eh?
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
Re: There's something rotten in...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 09:56:09 PM »
Hmm, maybe I should shut down the RUNE HORDES site in demonstration against the pathetic state of the gameplay currently found online -- not that anyone would care enough about it.
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Nømad

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:37:47 PM »
You won't be able to change the way people play by shutting down Runehordes. The site would be missed, though.

As for the "current state of the game", things have always been like this.  ???
The only difference I can see is that most people have gone from DWS to DBA. Then again, I was a 1.00'er until late 2003.

If you want variety, I suggest you go to one of the less popular servers (meaning basically anywhere except Rage, Sacred, Apothecarius and WTN). In the "pro" servers, it's all about fragging fast.

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 06:08:57 PM »
You won't be able to change the way people play by shutting down Runehordes. [...]
Yeah, I know.

[...] As for the "current state of the game", things have always been like this.  ???
The only difference I can see is that most people have gone from DWS to DBA. Then again, I was a 1.00'er until late 2003. [...]
While I'll admit to my memory not being half of what it used to be, I'm pretty damn sure there was a time, when players would use a wide variety in weaponry throughout the maps... and voluntarily too.

[...] If you want variety, I suggest you go to one of the less popular servers (meaning basically anywhere except Rage, Sacred, Apothecarius and WTN). In the "pro" servers, it's all about fragging fast.
If I need to resort to "ping 0" servers, I'd almost rather uninstall the game and drop something heavy on the edge of my CDs :-\\.

It's funny how the "pro" servers show no signs of "pro" players - only players capable of hopping around with the high caliber selection, proclaiming how much they "have ownership" over other players and crap like that. No, wait... that's not funny. It's sad.

spin2win

Offline Nømad

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 06:30:37 PM »
There used to be a couple of professional servers full of new players and maps containing basically only onehanded weapons. clanserver4u.de or something. But it seems they got sick of advertising themselves and shut them down. That's a bit sad, actually. They were good servers.

If you dislike two-handed weapons so much, I don't really understand why you even left the demo. ;D

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:40 PM »
I don't dislike the two-handed weapons in general... only when they are the only weapons you ever see used (heh, I guess that does mean I dislike them in general). I do use them myself in-between using the other weapons available.

clanserver4u.de sounds familiar.

spin2win

Offline Nømad

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »
You're the direct opposite of the average rune player.
Normally, people use the one-handed in-between using the two-handed ones. ;D

If you're really sick of fending off the high-caliber weapons, why don't you rent a server yourself, and use a low-cal maprotation?

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »
You're the direct opposite of the average rune player.
Normally, people use the one-handed in-between using the two-handed ones. ;D [...]
Pffft... normally people either throw away the hand axe immediately after spawning and run for the nearest two-handed weapon - or just holster it and do that same :P.

[...] If you're really sick of fending off the high-caliber weapons, why don't you rent a server yourself, and use a low-cal maprotation?
As tempting is it to either setup a server on my local machine or rent a remote server (not likely) and "Low Calibrize" it, I think it'll be too boring in the long run - running around the maps on my own ;).

spin2win

Offline Nømad

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 09:48:17 PM »
Actually, I think your server would be rather popular. There are quite a few people who feel the same way you do, and yours would be the only server with the settings they prefer. And I for one would stop by every now and then just to get some variation from the regular fragging-routine.