Author Topic: Decide the future of the RUNE HORDES system!  (Read 9205 times)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
  • I play: Not anymore
Decide the future of the RUNE HORDES system!
« on: September 30, 2004, 11:42:46 AM »
How should the RUNE HORDES system be re-implemented?

Traditional
The traditional implementation would be to leave the system as it is now; hordes can add themselves to the system, providing a password which they can later use to gain access to the administrative sections of a horde's information. The responsibility of keeping the horde's information up-to-date lies in the hands of the horde itself (possibly helped along by administrative personnel).

The advantage of using this kind of system is, that a horde's data are protected by the password and it's thus virtually impossible for outsiders to come in and maliciously mess up the horde's information.

On the other hand, the disadvantage of using this kind of system is, that if hordes forget about the system - deliberately or not - a horde's information can become outdated rather quickly... in worst case rendering the horde entry useless.

Wikipedia-ish, open
Wikipedia is an "free encyclopedia" concept, where it's possible for everyone - guest users as well as users with an account - to edit the information, provided by the system, to as great an extent as desired. Seen in the context of the RUNE HORDES system, this means that administrative access to a horde's information is not a special privilege protected by a password.

The advantage of using this kind of system is, that there is no restrictions in who is allowed to update a horde's information, and there is thus a greater possibility of a horde's information being up-to-date; a visitor is browsing the system, comes by a horde the visitor is knowledgeable about, sees the information available is outdated, and updates it to help keeping it up-to-date.

On the other hand, the disadvantage of using this kind of system is, that since everyone is allowed to edit a horde's information, it's as easy to wreak havoc on the system "as stealing candy from a little child."

Wikipedia-ish, closed
This is pretty much the same as the open Wikipedia as mentioned above - only that it isn't quite the same after all. With this system it would be required for people wanting to keep the system up-to-date to register a user account (which would be approved by administrative personnel before being usable).

The advantage of using this kind of system is, that it would still be possible for people to edit a horde's information regardless of whichever horde affiliation the user has or has not. Because a user account - approved by administrative personnel - is required, it wouldn't be immediately possible for a prowler to wreak havoc on the system - if possible at all!

On the other hand, the disadvantage of using this kind of system is, that the amount of people being able to updating the system could virtually be the same as with the traditional system - if not fewer(!) due to people having to register a user account and wait for it to be approved.

Restrictive
The restrictive system restricts the access to a horde's administrative sections to only administrative personnel (meaning myself).

The advantage of using this kind of system is, that the system is in no danger whatsoever of being maliciously messed up by passing by prowlers wanting to wreak havoc on the system.

On the other hand, the disadvantage of using this kind of system is, that the possibility of a horde's information being updated falls to a very low level, where probably only the hordes I frequent the most gets their information updated - and the other hordes only if I take the time to go through them all (or random ones), one by one... which takes a lot of time!

This poll will be open for a week or two, after which the results will be analyzed and re-implementation of the system will take place. Please do reply to the thread with any comments you may have regarding the choice you made or didn't make! Doing so would be of invaluable help (as long as it's usable comments!) to me in deciding which implementation the system should be given.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:08:01 PM by Ragnartal1ty »
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Zisu

Re: Decide the future of the RUNE HORDES system!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 12:15:34 PM »
"registration is currently disabled"

i vote or closed wikipedia

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 12:33:33 PM »
Heh... I'm so clever... NOT!... forgot to re-enable registrations :-[.
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Inzzz

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 01:58:17 PM »
Traditional

Offline THE (renegade) MERCENARY

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »
Closed Wikipedia, with the addition to add newsbulletins to each clan or some sort of "history" function. The news/history can be archived along with the clan info (at the bottom or something), and then a news-section of it's own, gathering all news from all clans in one page.

Go to work!  :o

-|HHFO|-Saint

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 05:06:08 PM »
VoteS: closed wikipedia

K!rKanoS

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »
traditional

Offline NewBlood

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 02:32:38 PM »
closed wikipedia.

Apocalypse

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:11:31 PM »
 closed wikipedia.

Offline DT

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »
Closed Wikipedia.

Anotsu

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »
Traditional

thyrael

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 10:21:43 AM »
Traditional

Glatzerl

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 06:04:16 AM »
Traditional 60 %
Wikipedia-ish, closed 40% (if only well known/approved Runers can edit)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »
Current voting results

Traditional5
Wikipedia-ish, open0
Wikipedia-ish, closed7
Restrictive0

I have got to admit I'm pretty satisfied with the majority wanting a closed Wikipedia-ish system, because that's also the one I've been rooting for a bit myself... and to comment on Glatzerl's post; that would be the idea... that people would have to be approved by administrative personnel, and this would exclude unknown and/or untrusted runers.

The creator of a horde will of course still be able to update the horde's information - by gaining access via the usage of a password... just like it is now, so if the votes for the traditional option was because of fear of not being able to update their horde's information because of not being approved in a closed Wikipedia-ish system - this would not be the case.

The difference then is, that they would no longer be the only ones to update the information... a selection of trusted others would be able to do so too.

Mercenary; something like that is also in my plans :P.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 01:25:23 PM by Ragnartal1ty »

spin2win

Thantos

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 02:31:50 AM »
Closed Wikipedia. I also think that an update history would be nice.  :)