Author Topic: Decide the future of the RUNE HORDES system!  (Read 12045 times)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
  • I play: HoV
Re: Decide the future of the RUNE HORDES system!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 01:02:23 PM »
The current implementation of the system does include a changelog (update history), but it's only visible to administrative personnel... in the re-implementation the changelog will be public.
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 01:22:19 PM »
Midway voting results

Traditional5
Wikipedia-ish, open0
Wikipedia-ish, closed9
Restrictive0

Only a couple of more votes since last results overview, but seeing how the poll is halfway completed, I figured it'd be appropriate to have one again.

Sometime in near future a new thread will be opened for ideas on functionality wanting in a system - all the way from the scratch (I'll make sure most of the current functionality I want to carry over to the new version gets included - I do have a couple of things, which will be eliminated).
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Ba'alzamon

• Nae'blis
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 11:55:52 AM »
closed wikipedia

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 08:13:57 AM »
Final voting results

Traditional5
Wikipedia-ish, open0
Wikipedia-ish, closed10
Restrictive0

One single vote more than a couple of days ago, and thus the final vote to be cast in this discussion... and today I'll begin re-implementing the system according to the results: a closed Wikipedia-ish system...

...and this is how just that is going to work in praxis;

• A horde can still add itself to the system, providing a password for gaining access to its administrative section.
  • The person adding the horde is no longer the only person capable of updating the information provided. Approved runers also have these privileges.
  • The approved runers are given this privileges through this very forum; being put into a special membergroup. This will allow for easy administration of the approved runers (giving/taking away privileges).

spin2win

Ba\'al

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 09:47:16 AM »
how will be decided who gets int his special member group?
do we need to add ourselves again after this big change in the system?

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »

It's done via membergroups in this very forum, so if you've already got a useraccount, there's no need to get a new one... as the existing one can be put into the membergroup allowing global administrative access throughout the system.

If you meant adding the hordes to the system again - as in the system will be cleared with the re-implementation of it; nope... if the database won't be directly used, it'll be converted so all existing data will be preserved.

spin2win

Offline Ba'alzamon

• Nae'blis
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 03:56:10 PM »
k, super :)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2004, 02:57:33 PM »
Hopefully I can pull myself together to start getting the system re-developed from the bottom sometime tomorrow - getting rid of some annoying little bugs as soon as possible... although one does kind of make sense, yet still retaining bug status;

If a horde is "put to sleep", setting the activity level to "dead", all the horde's members are also "put to sleep". Afterwards, if the horde is revived by setting the activity level to "active" or "inactive", but not reviving any of its members, the horde is not being shown anywhere on the horde listing... meaning one has to search for it to find it.

:lipsrsealed:

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 05:58:06 PM »

[...]

If you meant adding the hordes to the system again - as in the system will be cleared with the re-implementation of it; nope... if the database won't be directly used, it'll be converted so all existing data will be preserved.

Change of plans; the system, when in its final re-implemented state, is not going to be "populated" by hordes... so they will have to be re-added to the system. This is mostly because it would be too tedious to write a converter to move over the data to the new system, but also for other reasons I won't get into right now.

Began writing a converter (to populate the system with hordes from the beginning) last night and finished it not long ago, and it wasn't as tedious to do as I feared it would. I havn't testrun it yet, though, so I don't know if it actually does work as it should - only time will tell :o.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 01:21:02 PM by Ragnartal1ty »

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »

[...]

Change of plans; the system, when in its final re-implemented state, is not going to be "populated" by hordes... so they will have to be re-added to the system. This is mostly because it would be too tedious to write a converter to move over the data to the new system, but also for other reasons I won't get into right now.

Began writing a converter (to populate the system with hordes from the beginning) last night and finished it not long ago, and it wasn't as tedious to do as I feared it would. I havn't testrun it yet, though, so I don't know if it actually does work as it should - only time will tell :o.

Excellent... works flawlessly (after fixing a little here and there, hehe) 8).

spin2win

Nømad

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 09:21:51 PM »
Yeah, I just skipped to the second page after reading the first post, and then I saw some posts I didn't understand and I was too lazy to scroll back to point 1, so if the voting's still intact,

Traditional, for all that's unholy! If that closed wikipethingy goes into action, then noone would have the energy to register their horde, or well, hardly anyone. And I don't even have a working email adress (hotmail messed it up), and I'm still very lazy, e.t.c.

As a conclusion, do you want your nice listing here to reduce to a total of 2, maybe 3 hordes?

Instead, you should focus on electing trustable rune players to controll the horde info like once a week or something, either giving the info discovered to you, or you simply give them administrative blablablabla... Noone's reading anyway, and my fingers are getting tired from all this typing, so...

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »
[...] If that closed wikipethingy goes into action, then noone would have the energy to register their horde, or well, hardly anyone. [...]
Nothing would be changed then; there aren't really that many new hordes being added to the system by the hordes themselves, as it is right now - and if it means the "dayfly" hordes won't get added to the system, it isn't really that much of a biggie anyways.

[...] And I don't even have a working email adress (hotmail messed it up) [...]
What would you want to use an e-mail for in this system? The only place on this site an e-mail would be useful, would be for signing up an account on the forum.

[...] Instead, you should focus on electing trustable rune players to controll the horde info like once a week or something, either giving the info discovered to you, or you simply give them administrative blablablabla [...]
That's pretty much how the closed Wikipedia-ish system is going to work; trusted RUNE players getting semi-administrative access (RHI helpers) - allowing them to update the hordes' information, whereas people having added their horde is only able to edit the horde's information of their own horde (using the password, not via forum account permissions like the RHI helpers).

spin2win