Author Topic: Development progress  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
  • I play: HoV
Development progress
« on: December 17, 2004, 03:13:01 PM »
Layout and matters pertaining to it.
The graphically enhanced layout has been thrown in the dustbin, giving place to an improved version of the current layout. Reasons for this decision include now being able to get the "Halls of Valhalla" font to make certain pieces of graphics for the layout, and the fact I'm a coder - not an artist. Sure other people could provice layouts for the system, but that is not going to happen; it's my system and thus I am to decide how it looks like. Suggestions on how to make it better (without bloating it with graphics) are of course more than welcome, as they can always be discarded if I don't like them.

I'm still considering whether or not to bring back the possibility of using alternative languages with the advantages and disadvantages it brings to the system. Main  advantage being heightened accessibility to the system, allowing those not too proficient in the universal language, English, to use it with far less or no problems. Main disadvantage being lack of support for certain languages, as currently seen with the system, where - if I recall correctly - certain languages still have English textstrings because the translators have not translated them. The "messing up the layout" has something to say too.

Hordelisting
The main hordelisting is pretty much as implemented into the new system as it is going to be; listing all hordes showing the nationality and name of the horde, indicating whether or not the horde has a forum (and if this is the case, gives a link to said forum), indicating whether or not the horde hosts one or more servers and if the horde is currently recruiting new members. The number of members in the horde is also shown, and finally the date on which the horde was most recently updated.

Inactive hordes only show the horde's nationality, name and the date it was most recently updated. The inactive hordes now also show all the hordes formerly shown as being dead, which means a horde can now only be active or inactive, as far as the system goes.

As with the current system, it's possible to filter the hordelisting by the three version classifications; 1.00-1.02, 1.06-1.07 and HoV. Furthermore, as with the current system, it's possible to order the hordelisting by the nationality, name, number of members and date most recently updated on. This time the ordering keeps the version filtering - unlike the current behavior of the ordering functionality.

The statistics block has been left virtually untouched.
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
Re: Development progress
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 08:01:57 AM »
Downprioritized development
Due to my fading interest in the game and to a certain extent the community, which is partially thanks to the same part of the community and the fact that I'm lost in City of Heroes, which is an awesome game, where stupid retards do not run around screaming own/[retard statement] or other moronic alternatives every ten seconds, or as every other second word in the things they write on forums and the like, the development of this system has been downprioritized (even more, yeah, as if that was possible, heh). Hell, there's a lot less annoying children in City of Heroes too, which is a nice change from RUNE - just a shame one had to resort to playing a pay-to-play game for such a change.

The RUNE HORDES system is still going to be up and running with no changes - apart from the new "zero tolerance" policy.

The "zero tolerance" policy
It's getting much too annoying with the morons not understanding the simple concepts of the system, and because of that using it as their own little childhood playground, which in the end invalidates the system.

Let's take the possibility of specifying the nationality of a horde's members as an example:

• This is NOT in place so you can say "lololol this flag looks cool lol i want it by my name lol" (or whatever fucked up reason you have) or set it according to some other stupid ingame horde concept (like the WW2 horde I deleted; no, I do not believe the three of you in the horde come from Germany, Iraq and the other nationality, which I can't remember).

• It IS in place to make it possible to give an "accurate" overview of the nationalities (and amount of people from same) in a given horde - and in the game as a whole - as well as making it possible for people to easily finding people some a given nationality by "searching" for them. If someone doesn't want to show their real nationality, there's a "Not specified" nationality for the very same purpose!

As a result of this, I've gotten too fed up with trying to roll back the valid information of a horde by comparing with the changelog, so I don't really care anymore. If a horde thinks they're "oh, so smart" by invalidating the system (the above example being far from the only way I consider invalidating the system), I won't think twice about removing the horde permanently from the system (permanently meaning that those new entries the horde makes afterwards, to get back in the system, gets binned too), because I couldn't really care less about your pathetic little horde, if you decide to take a shit on my system.

Despite being of equally moronic and annyoing nature, being incapable of reading and understanding that the URL to a horde's site and forum MUST begin with http:// and inserting hyphens in ICQ UINs (where they have no place), is not affected by the "zero tolerance" policy (although it probably should)!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 08:08:10 AM by Ragnartal1ty »
The RUNE of today... is like attending the Special Olympics of trampoline jumping.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:08:57 PM »
Development reconsidered
Ok, here's the skinny: as I just recently started playing the game again, my interest in the game has once again grown and thus has my interest in getting something more decent out of this site, so because of this I'll start working on the new code again - although the end result quite possibly won't be so elaborate and functional as the closed Wikipedia-ish system discussed some time ago. Instead it will highly possibly just be a reworked version of the current site with some changes and fixes to the code here and there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:16:48 PM by Ragnartal1ty »

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:01:38 PM »
Nah, fuck it... nobody else cares about the system anyways, so why should I?

The system stays in its current code revision; somewhat flawed but still fully functional.

Furthermore the maintenance sweep, I had planned to run during the remainder of the week, has been scrapped too.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:21:55 PM »
Made a tiny update to the member management business logic... disabling hyphens in ICQ UINs.

So no more hyphens in your ICQ UINs, Germans, no matter how much you fail to understand they're not supposed to be there and try to add them anyways.

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 12:27:12 PM »
Hah, so I've gone ahead and started working on it anyways, because I can't stand seeing it in its current version - with all the flaws I notice, and so far I've pretty much got the horde listing and horde information pages reconstructed. The horde administration is going to get a major overhaul, because it's crap like it is now!

They're oh so pretty now, but slower than how it is now, it seems. I hope it's just my computer and local web server acting up with slow response times. Working on the server information (showing the people currently playing on a server), I noticed that it currently doesn't seem to work - but it does (with the exact same code) on my local server... hrmph!

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:29:26 PM »
Development of administration interface begun
I finally got myself around to getting some work done on those administration interfaces, without which the system would be significantly less useful. While they're still going to look almost the same, I still hope the small improvements to the interface introduced are going to be warmly welcomed. At the time of writing this, I've made no work in the security department, but have nearly finished work on the Edit Horde section... leaving Edit Members, Edit Servers, Change Password, Changelog and Remove Horde on the to do list (along with securing the administration interfaces from outsiders).

spin2win

Offline Søren Bjerg

• • Administrator
    • RHI Developer
  • Ragnartal1ty
    • RUNE HORDES dot INFO
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 01:44:12 PM »
Got the security module working just fine last night, and while I can't remember how it currently works and can't be bothered to test it out to find out again, I definitely think it's better this time. Oh, yeah. Heh.

Got Edit Members done just now as well... and it's looking good. Better and cleaner. Yep, yep.

EDIT: Another one removed from the to do list... Edit Servers. Ahh, "copy paste" coding is fast coding... or well, it could be if one's being attentive and remembers to change eg. 'members' to 'servers' :-[.

EDIT EDIT: I should be able to put this new version of the system online within a couple of days - about time too!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 05:25:10 PM by Ragnartal1ty »

spin2win